Cherry Buster Build Thread

A place for Do it Yourself projects

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cherry Buster Build Thread

Postby ak47 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:45 am

Looks really nice Cliff :mrgreen: Let us know how you find it and what works well for you!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson
ak47

pedals: 0

Postby thesjkexperience » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 pm

I just have the caps to mount and I wanted to know if there was any way to test the board with a multi meter before moving on?

I also missed the memo on which pot goes where. Help! :thumbup:
Gunbarrel Guitars, Evidence Audio wires.
thesjkexperience

Guitars:: All Gunbarrel Custom Guitars: Teles, Jazzmasters, Strats, LP TV double cut, 1 54 LP flametop. Now all with Gunbarrel hand wound in Colorado pickups!
amps: Tungsten Buckwheat, Crema Wheat & Cortez. Morgan AC40 Deluxe w/2 Golds!
pedals: 15

Postby cajone5 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Pots are in tha parts list -- 1M is Input Z, 50k is Boost, 10k is Output Z

Not sure of a good way to test it. There are audio probes you can build or you could hook it up to breadboard jacks and power but that can be a little involves if you haven't set it up yet.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

BJFe: DIY CB, DIY FF 3.5%
cajone5

Guitars:: 2006 Taylor 214e
2014 Fender Strat 60th Anniversary
Mainland Tenor Uke
amps: 5e3 Deluxe
'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
pedals: 99

Postby thesjkexperience » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 am

Sorry Cliff, but I can't read Russian! Or, what ever that thing is :wave: I guess it makes sense to put the boost in the middle and the input pot by the input and output pot by the output?
thesjkexperience

Guitars:: All Gunbarrel Custom Guitars: Teles, Jazzmasters, Strats, LP TV double cut, 1 54 LP flametop. Now all with Gunbarrel hand wound in Colorado pickups!

Postby thesjkexperience » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:08 am

Yes, I am a total dork! Somehow it didn't register that the pot location was shown on the led wiring page. :whistle I guess it makes sense as I used to forget the location of my pot in high school.

I have some pics taken with my often dropped and kid abused iPhone. I didn't even try and get the colors correct and what is strange is the pics show black around the area where the wires go into the board when there isn't any irl. I finally got the replacement for my 25 Watt Weller professional after about 3 months of trying to get it done. I had a really pointy tip and it takes a bit for it to warm up and even then I had some problem with the solder flowing. I finally felt pretty good the last several solder joints and I do have a second board, but no parts, so I can try again later.

I am almost finished with the soldering roll I bought about 30 years ago! Maybe it flows so slow because it is old. I know my flow has slowed a lot in the last 30 years too!

IMG_2543.jpg
IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg
IMG_2546.jpg

I am surprised how long it takes! It didn't seem long, but the entire director's cut of Pink Floyd at Pompaii played while I did this as well as some Allen Holdsworth video. I need more practice before I apply for a job at Bearfoot. :P
thesjkexperience

Postby ak47 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:22 pm

thesjkexperience wrote:I am surprised how long it takes! It didn't seem long, but the entire director's cut of Pink Floyd at Pompaii played while I did this as well as some Allen Holdsworth video. I need more practice before I apply for a job at Bearfoot.

ok... now you are freaking me out... I had Pompeii playing when I wired up my box... :confused2 :wtf: :mrgreen:

Roger Waters: [after failed recording take of David's guitar over studio intercom] Um, feedback Dave.

David Gilmour: Don't worry about that. Christ. What would rock and roll be without feedback?

Did you use 60/40 solder? The lead free stuff needs a higher temp to flow nicely...
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson
ak47

Postby MBT74 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:36 am

Did anyone miss out on a complete kit? If I'm realistic, I'm not getting to make this kit anytime soon and I probably don't need another boost. If there's a forum member who missed out then let me know.
MBT74

Postby cajone5 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:50 pm

MBT74 wrote:Did anyone miss out on a complete kit? If I'm realistic, I'm not getting to make this kit anytime soon and I probably don't need another boost. If there's a forum member who missed out then let me know.

thiscalltoarms PM'd me about one a couple weeks back -- try him. :thumbup:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1046
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

BJFe: DIY CB, DIY FF 3.5%
cajone5

Guitars:: 2006 Taylor 214e
2014 Fender Strat 60th Anniversary
Mainland Tenor Uke
amps: 5e3 Deluxe
'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
pedals: 99

Postby thesjkexperience » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 pm

I hope to start the second half of this project soon. The weather has been nice here and I finally painted the two Tele bodies I am working on as well as finishing some necks, prepping 3 new bodies and bouncing some crazy pickup wiring ideas with a pickup winder in Spain. I need to decide if my company name is any good and come up with a neck decal. I have a guy from the TDPRI that I jammed with last weekend who wants me to build him a Jazzcaster!

I have big fingers that are also losing their feeling. Would it be easiest to punch some holes in a box to match the Cherry Buster box and build the pots, LED, jacks, power and switch? I could also do any trouble shooting before putting the guts in the enclosure. Any downsides to doing it outside the enclosure?

Thanks.
thesjkexperience

Postby ak47 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:47 am

thesjkexperience wrote:I hope to start the second half of this project soon. The weather has been nice here and I finally painted the two Tele bodies I am working on as well as finishing some necks, prepping 3 new bodies and bouncing some crazy pickup wiring ideas with a pickup winder in Spain. I need to decide if my company name is any good and come up with a neck decal. I have a guy from the TDPRI that I jammed with last weekend who wants me to build him a Jazzcaster!

I have big fingers that are also losing their feeling. Would it be easiest to punch some holes in a box to match the Cherry Buster box and build the pots, LED, jacks, power and switch? I could also do any trouble shooting before putting the guts in the enclosure. Any downsides to doing it outside the enclosure?

Thanks.

So what is the name of your company? We could vote on it for you.. :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup:

I prepped the pots, one jack & switch outside the box.. Just make sure the wires aren't too short. The LED is best done in the box I think and I guess a patient, steady hand is what will do it for you even if your fingers are big
ak47

PreviousNext

Return to Folk Forum (DIY projects)