Folk Fuzz Deluxe!

A place for Do it Yourself projects

Moderator: Moderators

Folk Fuzz Deluxe!

Postby cajone5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:43 am

I finally got around to building my folk fuzz kit from couple of months ago. It was the first effect I've ever built and my first time soldering. I definitely had some issues with the tight fit on the board and ended up filling some of the open holes with solder and installing the LEDs backwards but eventually got it all sorted out. It only runs on a 9v tap because the TRS jacks I picked up weren't working for some reason. But I just wanted to post the build and say the pedal sounds killer :) I contacked John Fromel after having some issues and thinking I ruined the build for a couple more kits to try again -- I haven't heard back from him but if he has more kits left I'd definitely recommend some other folks give this a shot. It's quite rewarding and sounds great :thumbup:

My LED bezel didn't fit in the box so I think I might make a trip out to radio shack to see if I can get something that's a better fit but other than that she's all done!

Now to go source parts for the folk boost & buffer :joker
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

BJFe: DIY CB, DIY FF 3.5%
cajone5

Guitars:: 2006 Taylor 214e
2014 Fender Strat 60th Anniversary
Mainland Tenor Uke
amps: 5e3 Deluxe
'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
pedals: 99

Re: Folk Fuzz Deluxe!

Postby Joeleo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Congrats man, I really liked the way that sounded back when I had one.
Joeleo

Guitars:: Warmoth/Fender Jazzmaster
Baker Junior
Couple of Partscaster Strats
Ibanez AS73 (heavily modified)
amps: Nolatone CL-30
Silverface Twin
Marshall JTM 610
pedals: 10

Postby rockeroo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:02 pm

A while back, I was using my folk fuzz deluxe as a low gain base tone... The EQ range is real great for a low gain, gritty, treble boosted tone. That reminds me...I should use it again!

Cheers!
keeping life interesting ...
rockeroo

pedals: 0

Postby cajone5 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:29 pm

rockeroo wrote:A while back, I was using my folk fuzz deluxe as a low gain base tone... The EQ range is real great for a low gain, gritty, treble boosted tone. That reminds me...I should use it again!

Cheers!

I found mine to be a little lacking in treble. If I hear back from John Fromel about another kit I may see if he has any recommendations to get more sweep on the gain and the ability to add more treble. Anything CCW of noon is too woofy and bass heavy for me.

Here is the nightmare that is the gut shot. I had a temporary LED in there previously and finally filed the LED hole out so I could use the bezel and a big white LED :mrgreen:

cajone5

Mainland Tenor Uke
'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Postby rockeroo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Nice work! Which clipping mode do you like best? What amp are you using?

Cheers!
keeping life interesting ...
rockeroo

Postby cajone5 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 am

rockeroo wrote:Nice work! Which clipping mode do you like best? What amp are you using?

Cheers!

The clipping I would guess is the Diode clipping option although, honestly, I have no idea since the PCB/instructions don't really explain much on what the toggle does in each spot. It's the quietest of the 3 settings with the most gain. I run it with the fuzz and treble around 3 o'clock and it sounds great on my strat. I also like the middle position which is the loudest of the 3 (no clipping?) for a fuzzy boost :music

It's definitely a fantastic fuzz that's not at all over the top. I am seeing if I can get another kit and do some mods on the next one to increase treble and maybe have more sweep on the fuzz pot.

I tested it initially with an SG but found I liked it on my strat more. The amp is a Retro Channel RR1. As much as I want to hate it I can't. I'd love to get rid of it (because I think the owners are dicks from what I see of their posts on forums) but I really do think it sounds awesome so, somewhat disappointingly it's sticking around. :pirate

cajone5

Mainland Tenor Uke
'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Postby bachman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:16 pm

does the green LED's happen to light when the unit is powered? The reason I ask is that I noticed one of mine did flicker when I was moving a transistor around while the unit was on, so I wasn't sure if they are supposed to or not. I suppose they wouldn't.
bachman

Postby cajone5 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 pm

I'll open the back and play through it on the different setting to see if I get any flickering.

Will try to report back tonight :thumbup:

cajone5

Mainland Tenor Uke
'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Return to Folk Forum (DIY projects)