Folk Boost

A place for Do it Yourself projects

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Folk Boost

Postby cajone5 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:56 pm

mmolteratx wrote:Just did up a PCB layout that combines the buffer/boost (buffer is always active) using PC mount pot/LED that should fit in a K430 enclosure no problem. About to put in an order and decided to see if anyone here was interested. Price should be $5 or $6 per board plus shipping, limit 3 per person.

Awesome! I'll take 2. Any chance you can get the buffer on a toggle switch? Guessing not since the layout is already done but it doesn't hurt to ask :)
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

BJFe: DIY CB, DIY FF 3.5%
cajone5

Guitars:: 2006 Taylor 214e
2014 Fender Strat 60th Anniversary
Mainland Tenor Uke
amps: 5e3 Deluxe
'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
pedals: 99

Postby mmolteratx » Mon May 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Ya, you can toggle the buffer no problem. Shouldn't require any mods to the board, just a different wiring scheme. I'll draw something up in a bit.
BJFe: HBOD, SBEQ, BBOD, CAF
MP: DBD, TOP, LGW
BF: PGC

WTB: Nitro finished DRD
mmolteratx

pedals: 100

Postby cannikin » Mon May 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Excellent, I'm in, put me down for two. Cheers
cannikin

Guitars:: Jaguar,
amps: Silverface Princeton reverb
pedals: 18

Postby SteveA » Tue May 22, 2012 7:37 am

Wow, it looks like the folk boost project is ready to go! Can't wait to get some news on how these sound :)
BJF: BPB, CHII, MG, MH4K, PGC, PH, LGW & RRB
SteveA

Guitars:: Fender Stratocaster CS Pro
amps: Divided by 13 EDT
pedals: 12

Postby mmolteratx » Wed May 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Well, not really a project. More like I want to try the Folk Boost and don't want to have a bunch of extra boards lying around. If Bjorn and Donner want to move ahead with a Folk Boost project, I'd be happy to donate the layout and help coordinate.

Also, I'll be placing the order tomorrow afternoon. Anyone who wants a board should speak up now. I'll order a few extras but once they're gone, I won't be ordering any others unless Bjorn/Donner want to make it a community project and I also won't be making the Eagle files public as I don't want any shenanigans like we've seen recently.

mmolteratx

Postby Seiche » Thu May 24, 2012 2:01 pm

I'll take 1!
Seiche

pedals: 1

Postby mmolteratx » Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Got an e-mail from Bjorn earlier. Looks like the community project is on. I'm not sure if you guys who want PCBs just want them as is or want to wait until we sort out the details. I've got a few questions to get started.

First, do you guys want kits or just a board and a Mouser shopping list? We could probably get the costs down if everyone wants to do the kits. Then we'd be able to buy in bigger bulk, which could potentially make a several dollar difference in caps. Though if you want to customize your board, it might be easier if you can throw everything together. The kit would definitely make it more

Second, if we do decide to do kits, do you want an unfinished (drilled) enclosure or do we want to try and work out a finish scheme? With the unfinished enclosures, we can use the Hammond K430 which is the heavier Zinc enclosure. I don't have the time to finish them all though so if we were to buy powdercoated/silkscreened enclosures, they'd have to be regular aluminum 1590Bs. Cost would probably be ~$10 more for the finished enclosure. Just depends on what price I can get on bulk enclosures.

mmolteratx

Postby cannikin » Thu May 24, 2012 6:39 pm

I will go either way. I don't mind just the board and shopping list as I enjoy going to boutique shops like handmade electronics and overpaying for components like Elna silk caps - because it's fun and I like spending money. :whistle

As for enclosure I don't mind unfinished - DIY spirit - unless we can get the glorious Donner painted enclosures. But again, I'm will be happy with whatever the majority wants to do.

For me the most important thing that I want is same knobs and pot shaft size that Bjfe and Bearfoot use - to me that is the Bj/Bf aesthletic component that makes it special (aside from the enclosure paint jobs, witty name, and amazing tone). I'm still waiting to find those knobs for my folk fuzz

Name - folk "something" boost??? Bjorn?

Thanks for taking this to the next level.
Cheers
cannikin

Guitars:: Jaguar,
amps: Silverface Princeton reverb
pedals: 18

Postby mmolteratx » Thu May 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Well, for a single knob those don't really work. You can find them here, though. https://www.elfaelectronics.com/elfa3~e ... &toc=20543 Made for 6mm pots. I think Donner said he gets his custom made for 1/4" pots.

mmolteratx

Postby Seiche » Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 pm

I just want a board. maybe be can do this off record if most people'd like a kit.
Seiche

pedals: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Folk Forum (DIY projects)