Folk Project?

A place for Do it Yourself projects

Moderator: Moderators

What type of project would you like to work on?

Booster
50%
Overdrive
7%
Fuzz
7%
Tremolo
7%
Vibrato
No votes
Compressor
No votes
Reverb
7%
Delay
21%

Total votes : 14

Folk Project?

Postby Hulakatt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:42 am

Lets see if we can get this started. First, we need to decide on what type of project to dig into and then as we get kind of a consensus, we can fine tune finer shades (like what kind of overdrive or booster). Since it's been awhile, I think we should start off light and build up to bigger projects as we learn.

Warning: I am not a circuit designer! I do not know what I am doing! I am familier with some basics of electrical circuits and am competent with soldering. I have assembled guitars/pedals/amps but nothing beyond that. I am here to learn as much as anyone else, I am just trying to get this rolling again.

Edit: if no one else jumps in, I will do this whole thing myself, dang it!
Last edited by Hulakatt on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't make things in order to have finished objects, I have finished objects as a by-product of my need to always be making."
-Adam Savage

BJFe: SBEQ, DRD, MG, EGDM
Bearfoot: BPB
Hulakatt

Guitars:: Edwards LP, pine Tele parts-o-caster, Strat parts-o-caster
amps: Marsh 5e3, Triode jtm50 "Black Flag" 50 watt, Silvertone 1484, "Drip Edge" Fender Bandmaster
pedals: 42

Re: Folk Project?

Postby Hulakatt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:45 am

I'll start with a vote for a booster. Nice and simple and we should be able to add some nice easy tweaks and add something to make it special.

I plan on doing this as many times as I can so I don't feel the need to rush to whatever project I really want (A Folk Model G, Folk Baby Blue and a Folk Trem!)
"I don't make things in order to have finished objects, I have finished objects as a by-product of my need to always be making."
-Adam Savage

Hulakatt

amps: Marsh 5e3, Triode jtm50 "Black Flag" 50 watt, Silvertone 1484, "Drip Edge" Fender Bandmaster

Postby musicsoma » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:22 am

I do like the idea of a boost or even a Tonebender type of pedal. Hmmm... tough call.
Last edited by musicsoma on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
musicsoma

pedals: 0

Postby cajone5 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:51 am

I would say fuzz/OD/boost just because they're the easiest circuits to build (fuzz especially) but I'd be open to whatever. I've never done any pedal building so this is all new ground for me. :glasses
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

BJFe: DIY CB, DIY FF 3.5%
cajone5

Guitars:: 2006 Taylor 214e
2014 Fender Strat 60th Anniversary
Mainland Tenor Uke
amps: 5e3 Deluxe
'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
pedals: 99

Postby Hulakatt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:29 am

How about something along the concept of the Analogman Sun Lion? A fuzz circuit pumping straight into a (treble but it doesn't have to stay that way) boost circuit with our own adaption of that theory of course :) That would give us a fuzz and a booster in one enclosure, both being fairly simple but offering a wide range of sounds. I do want to create something different and not just copy AM here so what could we use for our building blocks?

I would want to see if making the EQ of the boost toggle-able or tone knob-able would yield good results or mud.

I guess this would be a Folk Fuzz Deluxe?

Thoughts?
Last edited by Hulakatt on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Adam Savage

Hulakatt

Postby musicsoma » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:34 am

Looks like there are 3 votes for delay already. I have zero experience when it comes to building pedals, but I sure would love to learn. If we do end up doing a delay, how hard would something similar to a Memory Man be to build?
musicsoma

Postby Hulakatt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:24 am

Madbean has a DMM type delay on their site:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

and it comes with this:

WARNING: This is an incredibly difficult project. This is not a “first time” build by any means. Do not take on the DirtBag unless you feel confident in your abilities, or you may end up wasting quite a bit of time and money! That said, if you take your time and follow the instructions carefully, you should be able to get the DirtBag working with relative ease.

Here's the schematic:

and the layout:

I would love to have a Folk Delay but that's way over my head to start with. I built the byoc analog delay about a year ago, it was a pain to put together (even with being meticulous with everything), it a long time to tune it and it never sounded as good as I knew it could. As far as effects go, the guts are more expensive than the average pedal.

For me, it is a goal to work towards, not a starting point to learn about circuits.

Really, there's a few good reasons that delays are usually the most expensive pedal a builder will make.
-Adam Savage

Hulakatt

Postby SteveA » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:25 pm

I would have voted for the delay but it does look like an incredibly difficult project as well! We already have a fuzz though so maybe a compressor or a booster? Looks like an amazing project and would definitely be in if someone can help out with it all.
BJF: BPB, CHII, MG, MH4K, PGC, PH, LGW & RRB
SteveA

Guitars:: Fender Stratocaster CS Pro
amps: Divided by 13 EDT
pedals: 12

Postby SteveA » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:26 pm

A reverb would also be cool actually plus tehre isn't one in the BJF/MP lineup!
BJF: BPB, CHII, MG, MH4K, PGC, PH, LGW & RRB
SteveA

Guitars:: Fender Stratocaster CS Pro
amps: Divided by 13 EDT
pedals: 12

Postby musicsoma » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Yeah, agreed. After seeing that delay schematic and reading the "warning", I would prefer to start with something easy. I like the idea of a Folk Booster. Reverb would also be cool, but isn't reverb basically a fast delay?

Cheers,
Mike
musicsoma

Next

Return to Folk Forum (DIY projects)