Boss CE-2 mods...(sorta)

A place for Do it Yourself projects

Moderator: Moderators

Boss CE-2 mods...(sorta)

Postby jdandry » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am

I just recently got a old Boss CE-2 Chorus. I would like to do some upgrades.
I don't want the Hi-fi or speed mods, the only "mod" I'm looking for is just maybe the depth mod.
I'm most interested in Electro replacement and signal cap upgrades. Should I just
hit all the electros? Would replacing the power supply caps bring down noise any.
I don't really want to buy a kit cause I don't need the full mod package or any parts, I just want to make sure
I don't change something and loose the warm, CE-2 sound. Thanks for any info!
jdandry

Re: Boss CE-2 mods...(sorta)

Postby jfromel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:52 pm

jdandry wrote:I just recently got a old Boss CE-2 Chorus. I would like to do some upgrades.
I don't want the Hi-fi or speed mods, the only "mod" I'm looking for is just maybe the depth mod.
I'm most interested in Electro replacement and signal cap upgrades. Should I just
hit all the electros? Would replacing the power supply caps bring down noise any.
I don't really want to buy a kit cause I don't need the full mod package or any parts, I just want to make sure
I don't change something and loose the warm, CE-2 sound. Thanks for any info!

Change all the EL's, there are some 1uf and .47 EL's that you can put film in, this will make it less noisy.

I would socket IC1 and put a nicer sounding op-amp in there, some like the Burr Brown opa2134, you could also try a NE5532.

Jump D1 and R53 to convert to PSA power.

If you shoot me a e-mail or PM later will look up the value and position of the depth mod but I don't have the schem in front of me.
Part time pedal builder with a day job now with a web site http://www.fromelelectronics.com
jfromel

Postby Donner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:05 am

You know this might be a fun use for the Folk Forum as there are lots of solid mods that people might like to work thru together....
Donner
Site Admin

Guitars:: Strats, Teles, LPSpecial, Silvertone, #1 is a Gretschified Flying V
amps: custom plexitweed KT66>2x12 Greenbacks, Deluxe and Princeton Reverbs
pedals: 0

Postby jdandry » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:20 am

Sounds good to me, you guys should move the thread over. I did the depth mod, used a 75pf and changed 1 of the 1uf caps to a film. Sounds good, I'd like to do the power supply mod. Jump D1-R53...I dont quite follow? D1 is way over by Q4..did you mean D5? Isn't the old Boss power supply for these 12v and does D5 and the 100ohm R53 drop the voltage down to 9v? So do I just remove them and connect with a jumper? I may be way off...

PS. Any amp guys here? I have a couple questions about amp tone and fairy dust...relates to something Bjorn said about pedals....
jdandry

Postby Donner » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:52 am

jdandry wrote:Sounds good to me, you guys should move the thread over. I did the depth mod, used a 75pf and changed 1 of the 1uf caps to a film. Sounds good, I'd like to do the power supply mod. Jump D1-R53...I dont quite follow? D1 is way over by Q4..did you mean D5? Isn't the old Boss power supply for these 12v and does D5 and the 100ohm R53 drop the voltage down to 9v? So do I just remove them and connect with a jumper? I may be way off...

PS. Any amp guys here? I have a couple questions about amp tone and fairy dust...relates to something Bjorn said about pedals....

Yeah put up an amp question here if you like... or if its something Bjorn specific you could pose it in Bjorns Corner
Donner
Site Admin

Guitars:: Strats, Teles, LPSpecial, Silvertone, #1 is a Gretschified Flying V
amps: custom plexitweed KT66>2x12 Greenbacks, Deluxe and Princeton Reverbs
pedals: 0

Postby jfromel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:15 am

The PSA conversion is just jumping the resistor and diode between the PS jack and the battery. I usually just bridge the two wires on the circuit board and leave the original parts in there if it's a pedal that is collectible I can swap it back without problem.

jdandry wrote:Sounds good to me, you guys should move the thread over. I did the depth mod, used a 75pf and changed 1 of the 1uf caps to a film. Sounds good, I'd like to do the power supply mod. Jump D1-R53...I dont quite follow? D1 is way over by Q4..did you mean D5? Isn't the old Boss power supply for these 12v and does D5 and the 100ohm R53 drop the voltage down to 9v? So do I just remove them and connect with a jumper? I may be way off...

Part time pedal builder with a day job now with a web site http://www.fromelelectronics.com
jfromel

Return to Folk Forum (DIY projects)