Folk Fuzz 3.5% build thread

A place for Do it Yourself projects

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Folk Fuzz 3.5% build thread

Postby SteveA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:48 pm

the fuhz wrote:ok, after fixing an elementary mistake with the wiring, I finally got her up an running.

This is a Folk Fuzz BASS edition. I painted it to look like a piece of wood because 'folk' just reminds me of the woods and nature.

soo, is there going to be another project? lets do it!

Such stunning paint jobs . Both the wood and B&W butterfly are just unbelievable . Wish I could paint like that. Itd be an honor to be part of Any project yo guys put together.u
BJF: BPB, CHII, MG, MH4K, PGC, PH, LGW & RRB
SteveA

Guitars:: Fender Stratocaster CS Pro
amps: Divided by 13 EDT
pedals: 12

Postby Donner » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:32 pm

Yeah the Wooden Tremolo and Sepiqua Sough on this page are this tecnique with butterscotch nitro over - looks like a chunk of 50s Tele 8)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=660&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

the fuhz wrote:
Donner wrote:
Excellent graining ! Ive used that on a few things over the years.... how does the bass version differ ?

thanks, it too awhile to figure the 'graining tool' out, next time Im going to paint the enclosure brown first to give it an even more natural look. This time I went for psychedelic wood.

Donner
Site Admin

Guitars:: Strats, Teles, LPSpecial, Silvertone, #1 is a Gretschified Flying V
amps: custom plexitweed KT66>2x12 Greenbacks, Deluxe and Princeton Reverbs
pedals: 0

Postby the fuhz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:59 am

Donner wrote:Yeah the Wooden Tremolo and Sepiqua Sough on this page are this tecnique with butterscotch nitro over - looks like a chunk of 50s Tele 8)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=660&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

the fuhz wrote:
Donner wrote:
Excellent graining ! Ive used that on a few things over the years.... how does the bass version differ ?

thanks, it too awhile to figure the 'graining tool' out, next time Im going to paint the enclosure brown first to give it an even more natural look. This time I went for psychedelic wood.

nice! I like those for sure. whats the deal with the wooden tremelo? a bjfe design?
the fuhz

Guitars:: '65 Magnatone - 'hurricane'
'68 Gibson - 'EB2'
'72 Fender - 'mustang'
'74 Gibson - 'ripper'
amps: '67 Ampeg - B15N
'72 Fender - Bassman 10
'98 SWR - 'silverado' combo w/2x10" ext
pedals: 3

Postby Donner » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:58 am

the wooden trem is just a Saffron Yellow Trem that goes slower - hence the different box ( the TAPD & BFC lettering is for Trans Atlantic Pedal Designers and Beer Fanciers Club, inside joke ; ] )
Donner
Site Admin

Postby Donner » Sun May 23, 2010 9:25 am

any more build reports on this batch ?
Donner
Site Admin

Postby Miskha » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:53 pm

I finally got around to putting the FF3.5 together;

With a bass guitar plugged in and with the effect on (running on a 9v battery) I get a sound that's no different from my normal sound. The pots and the switch also have no affect on the tone with the pedal engaged whatsoever. Not even a little bit of dirt. The LED lights up when the pedal is "On" though!

When I stomp on the footswitch to turn the effect off, no sound passes through at all.

I made some substitutions to the components as per Mr. Fromel and Mr. Juhl's suggestions in other parts of this forum. Mostly these were just larger caps or resistors. I followed Mr. Fromel's photo-journal build. On my board vs the photos in Fromel's journals it seems that some of the transistors were labeled backwards (with regards to their polarity) on the board, so I went ahead and put them in like in the photo-journal build. I dunno, just some musings on my own problem!

I haven't had time to go through and trouble-shoot it yet, but that'll come soon enough!
Miskha

Guitars:: Waiting on my Darrin Huff Bass!!!
amps: Eden!
pedals: 10

Postby jdandry » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm

I have a Folk Fuzz 3.5% board I have waiting for a great match to put in a dual box. Any suggestions?
jdandry

Postby Miskha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Miskha wrote:I finally got around to putting the FF3.5 together;

With a bass guitar plugged in and with the effect on (running on a 9v battery) I get a sound that's no different from my normal sound. The pots and the switch also have no affect on the tone with the pedal engaged whatsoever. Not even a little bit of dirt. The LED lights up when the pedal is "On" though!

When I stomp on the footswitch to turn the effect off, no sound passes through at all.

I made some substitutions to the components as per Mr. Fromel and Mr. Juhl's suggestions in other parts of this forum. Mostly these were just larger caps or resistors. I followed Mr. Fromel's photo-journal build. On my board vs the photos in Fromel's journals it seems that some of the transistors were labeled backwards (with regards to their polarity) on the board, so I went ahead and put them in like in the photo-journal build. I dunno, just some musings on my own problem!

I haven't had time to go through and trouble-shoot it yet, but that'll come soon enough!

#XXV is up and working!! I finally got around to trouble-shooting this bad boy and got it working! The LED stays on no matter whether the pedal is on or off but the pedal (converted to a bass version) works just fine! I tried it with my Cliff Bordwell "D" bass and an Eden Nemesis amp. It sounded amazing; the first half or so of the "Fuzz" dial seems to sound like, as others have stated, a lower gain dirt, more like an OD pedal. Then the next half sees the pedal step it up until it's into a more traditional "Fuzz" territory! All in all, a great build! Thanks to all who made this possible!
Miskha

Guitars:: Waiting on my Darrin Huff Bass!!!
amps: Eden!
pedals: 10

Postby bachman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:18 pm

anyone know if the green LED's should be lit when using the FF DLX? I see they are clipping diodes, but am curious if they actually need to be illuminated to be working?

Thanks!
bachman

Previous

Return to Folk Forum (DIY projects)