other DIY Project suggestions ....

A place for Do it Yourself projects

Moderator: Moderators

Re: other DIY Project suggestions ....

Postby Sweet T » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:44 pm

Well, the one thing I like about all/most of Bjorn's stuff is that they're not op-amp based (aside from the LGWs). I have a love/hate relationship with op-amps :D Something in the fuzz/overdrive realm, I think would be cool. Hell, maybe we could all design a circuit with the direction of Mr. Juhl.
Sweet T

Postby jfromel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:10 pm

I thought people would be all over doing a modded phase 45, we could add a ramp up/down circuit to simulate a leslie, add some grit and get it to Vibe? BTW the Lovepedal Vibe is just a modded phase 45.

How about a non-opamp - mosfet based OD? could use BS170/2n7000 and some 4002's or 1n34a germainium diodes to clip it?
Part time pedal builder with a day job now with a web site http://www.fromelelectronics.com
jfromel

Postby Sweet T » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:49 pm

I think that OD is a good idea. I have a BYOC Mighty Mouse that I built and my absolute favorite clipping section on there are the BS 170's where I added 1n34a's in the "experimental aftermarket" holes. I think that's a great sounding clipping section--smooth and warm.
Sweet T

Postby Corksniffer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:56 pm

jfromel wrote:I thought people would be all over doing a modded phase 45, we could add a ramp up/down circuit to simulate a leslie, add some grit and get it to Vibe? BTW the Lovepedal Vibe is just a modded phase 45.

How about a non-opamp - mosfet based OD? could use BS170/2n7000 and some 4002's or 1n34a germainium diodes to clip it?

Well that phase 45 sounds wonderful. The ramping would be awesome.
Corksniffer

Postby Sweet T » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:18 pm

See, thing is, we could do that just by getting some sort of 45 clone off the net and then building the "LERA" board to add onto it. I think it would be really cool, but nothing we couldn't do otherwise.
Sweet T

Postby BJF » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:34 am

Corksniffer wrote:
Donner wrote:This section was started to organize and encourage the Folk Fuzz build, but also to continue with other builds and projects...

Any suggestions or requests?

Offers to lead the next project ?

Im rather unfamiliar with the BJFe line in general. The only thing I know is that there are like 5 regular models and 50 other pedals that there are only 5 or 6 of in the world. Are there other designs that are not bread and butter circuits that pay Bjorn's bills? Perhaps a different type of fuzz circuit that people could learn from? More gain or something where users work with more stages and further explanation could be developed for why each part does what it does and what impact changing that part has. Thats my one complaint about the current "paint by numbers" quality of kits like BYOC. The goal for them is to get a finished pedal for you instead of saying "this is the tonestack, changing this value does this... etc." A better learning experience could be provided if there was more analysis along with the building of the pedal.

Hi,

You know that's funny and I guess that's what people would see.
It's like this at first there was just one BJF model and just into the second month of producing those I asked my distributor if he wanted more?
No he did not as he had sufficient stock.....hm what can a manufacturer do?
Yes right on to the next model and so it continued until a little later and it was time for a new model.
At one point I had 15 models, but when distributors wanted six units of each parts got hard to find.

As a fun story perhaps when the Baby Blue Overdrive first saw light I had a little pile of transistors and when I went back to my parts supplier for more there were no more.......
which led to that I had to investigate what I could use an exactly why this function I had found was.

To this day I have not really bought things on line, how do you do that anyway?

What pays my bills? Well I guess each model I make makes an other carton of milk and I can build me a castle of trash......

I'll think hard on this what I could draw that could be made to just the same funlevel as this project and I will say I am impressed with all of these- hey you make better pedals than I..

Something I believe in is understanding functions, be it such that how to remove the things that sucks so that it'd fit me.

That's something I learned the hard way and indeed anyone up for making a phaser?
I'd say I have hated that effect with a passion since 1979, but what can one learn from that?

Yes parts combine but what can each part teach?

The Folk fuzz was intended to be something you could build from parts that you could salvage from the answeringmachine that happened to fall into the bucket of swappingwater and using the back stiff paper of your notebook.
The DLX and 3,5 version was intended to show what you possibly could do to a circuit like that.

I'm thinking a guitarist would ask this question 'does it distort'

Oh yea anything does if you push it hard enough.

Ahum, from thye name a phase 45 would have half the number of notches of a phase90 and you'd then have more a tremolo than a phasing effect.

How about this what would you use the most?

I can see a way of the minds working together and I will contribute if you like and I can see the fun

Björn Juhl
BJF Electronics
Sweden
http://www.bjfe.org
http://www.mpamp.com
BJF

Guitars:: Les Pauls, V with P-90's and humbuckers, strats,tele duo-jet and expanding; pick ups mostly Lundgren or BJF/ Lundgren
Danelectro Barython
amps: MP CS-40, MP101, Hiwatt Custom 200, Hiwatt Custom 100, VOX AC15
Fender Blues De Ville, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall 5150 through various speakers
pedals: 42

Postby Donner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:01 pm

yeah a phase 45/90 switch and vibe/phase would be cool ...

or maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something new, some unique twist ....

Im also thinking maybe we could do something with the Sweet MoFaux, which is Bob Sweets phase/vibe thingy ....... and maybe we could make a fundraiser for Bob out of it (If you dont know Bob Sweet has been battling cancer without insurance ) maybe we could do a 'Build for Bob' education for charity kind of thing - even get Bob to talk us thru the trimming .........

just thinking out loud here havent talked to Bob about it...
Donner
Site Admin

Guitars:: Strats, Teles, LPSpecial, Silvertone, #1 is a Gretschified Flying V
amps: custom plexitweed KT66>2x12 Greenbacks, Deluxe and Princeton Reverbs
pedals: 0

Postby Corksniffer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:55 pm

Donner wrote:yeah a phase 45/90 switch and vibe/phase would be cool ...

or maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something new, some unique twist ....

Im also thinking maybe we could do something with the Sweet MoFaux, which is Bob Sweets phase/vibe thingy ....... and maybe we could make a fundraiser for Bob out of it (If you dont know Bob Sweet has been battling cancer without insurance ) maybe we could do a 'Build for Bob' education for charity kind of thing - even get Bob to talk us thru the trimming .........

just thinking out loud here havent talked to Bob about it...

Actual vibes are very tricky for new builders but a 45 probably wouldn't be too hard and the lera add-on would be really awesome. Im all for that idea if we end up not doing a higher gain fuzz or drive of some sort.
Corksniffer

Postby Corksniffer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:56 pm

BJF wrote:
Corksniffer wrote:
Donner wrote:This section was started to organize and encourage the Folk Fuzz build, but also to continue with other builds and projects...

Any suggestions or requests?

Offers to lead the next project ?

Im rather unfamiliar with the BJFe line in general. The only thing I know is that there are like 5 regular models and 50 other pedals that there are only 5 or 6 of in the world. Are there other designs that are not bread and butter circuits that pay Bjorn's bills? Perhaps a different type of fuzz circuit that people could learn from? More gain or something where users work with more stages and further explanation could be developed for why each part does what it does and what impact changing that part has. Thats my one complaint about the current "paint by numbers" quality of kits like BYOC. The goal for them is to get a finished pedal for you instead of saying "this is the tonestack, changing this value does this... etc." A better learning experience could be provided if there was more analysis along with the building of the pedal.

Hi,

You know that's funny and I guess that's what people would see.
It's like this at first there was just one BJF model and just into the second month of producing those I asked my distributor if he wanted more?
No he did not as he had sufficient stock.....hm what can a manufacturer do?
Yes right on to the next model and so it continued until a little later and it was time for a new model.
At one point I had 15 models, but when distributors wanted six units of each parts got hard to find.

As a fun story perhaps when the Baby Blue Overdrive first saw light I had a little pile of transistors and when I went back to my parts supplier for more there were no more.......
which led to that I had to investigate what I could use an exactly why this function I had found was.

To this day I have not really bought things on line, how do you do that anyway?

What pays my bills? Well I guess each model I make makes an other carton of milk and I can build me a castle of trash......

I'll think hard on this what I could draw that could be made to just the same funlevel as this project and I will say I am impressed with all of these- hey you make better pedals than I..

Something I believe in is understanding functions, be it such that how to remove the things that sucks so that it'd fit me.

That's something I learned the hard way and indeed anyone up for making a phaser?
I'd say I have hated that effect with a passion since 1979, but what can one learn from that?

Yes parts combine but what can each part teach?

The Folk fuzz was intended to be something you could build from parts that you could salvage from the answeringmachine that happened to fall into the bucket of swappingwater and using the back stiff paper of your notebook.
The DLX and 3,5 version was intended to show what you possibly could do to a circuit like that.

I'm thinking a guitarist would ask this question 'does it distort'

Oh yea anything does if you push it hard enough.

Ahum, from thye name a phase 45 would have half the number of notches of a phase90 and you'd then have more a tremolo than a phasing effect.

How about this what would you use the most?

I can see a way of the minds working together and I will contribute if you like and I can see the fun

Björn Juhl
BJF Electronics
Sweden
http://www.bjfe.org
http://www.mpamp.com

Thanks for the insight. This 3,5% folk fuzz was my first time hearing one of your designs in person and I recently added my name to the Custom Sounds Honey Bee list because that seems to be another top notch pedal. I guess Ill have one in 6 weeks or so :)
Corksniffer

Postby noelgrassy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:54 am

I too have never needed a phase shifter & don't own one unless you count the presets in my Lexicon.
Here's my take on our next build and the desire to learn about forcing electrons around in the little boxes, could we step-up to the collegiate level of the phase shifter and build one that not only ramps up but could be panned with an expression pedal?
Corksniffer, you're the king of flanger builds, how different is a phase shifter from a flanger? Does your Toneczar Halophase do panning as well? Any ideas about what's going on in one of those?

I'm pretty sure OD's have been done to death. Besides, my amps do that to the nines.

I'm very curious about those 2N7000 xistors. A fellow named Soulsonic (on another DIY site) has incorporated those in some markedly disparate pedal designs.
I have yet to do anything with them, but make no mistake, I'm having fun. Both in Bjorn's way and that loveable pinhead Zippy's way.
Attachments
monkeydog.gif
monkeydog.gif (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1971 times
Power Chords don't contain a third, so the maj&min qualities are not present. Heavy distortion adds harmonic content, and only perfect intervals have enough consonance to be clearly articulated at high distortion levels_DFunk
noelgrassy

PreviousNext

Return to Folk Forum (DIY projects)