Christmas Candy

Open discussion about all things BJFE

Moderator: Moderators

Christmas Candy

Postby scottcw » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:40 pm

I went on a binge of Candy Fuzz lately, picking up #110, #135, and a Blue Candy Fuzz. I thought others might benefit from my comparison.

I received CAF #135 today and spent some more time with the Blue Candy. #135 is somewhere between #110 and the Blue Candy.

#110 has much more traditional (less crazy) fuzz sounds, a little crackle, but no extreme gating and the right side of the Nature control gets thick mids with endless sustain that gets very close to Tonebender MKII and MKIII.

#135 is touchier on the Nature control, there is more gating available and a much stronger octave that shows up at 2-3 different spots of the dial.

The Blue Candy is the craziest. It reminds me of the Maestro FZ and some of those crazier 60s fuzz pedals.

There is not a crazy tone I would want that I can’t dial in with these 3. I can get everything from crackle-y to gated to horns to octave to thick endless sustain. Basically, everything from Maestro FZ to Tonebender MKIII.

BTW, I swapped all the batteries from Carbon-Zinc to Alkaline and they all improved significantly. I’m only using C-Z in my germanium pedals now.

I’m not sure I need all 3, but I also can’t pick a favorite. I would probably use #110 most often.
Wells 5:00 Shadow > BJFe Purple Humper > 1985 Crowther Hot Cake > Dredgetone Bass Angler > Guyatone MR2 Micro Reverb > Stark X-Ray Combo
scottcw

Guitars:: Chapin T-Bird
amps: Stark X-Ray
pedals: 0

Return to BJFE Discussion