Aqua Marine Wonder Machine

Open discussion about all things BJFE

Moderator: Moderators

Aqua Marine Wonder Machine

Postby barnard0203 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 am

Hello,

I have an Aqua Marine Wonder Machine and am wondering about the numbering in the pedal and if its different circuitry from the other AMWM I've seen for sale. Mine has different markings, B-T-L-V, as opposed to the others AMWM, V-D-R-Z. Just curious on the circuity, if its voiced differently from the other models and its history. The insides are labeled AMWM II "5".. Thanks!

VR,
Bryant
barnard0203

pedals: 0

Re: Aqua Marine Wonder Machine

Postby BJF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:38 pm

HI there,

The AMWM history:

First ever was a ‘spy unit’ that went back and forth between my workshop and a guy in the south of Sweden as he had a nice Super Reverb and the qusetion was if a fitting OD could be built by correspondence and this unit was blue and black and the final unit that went to south of Sweden was orange sunburst.
This circuit went to MP to become Sky Blue OD but SBOD was darker and did not sound the same but it found its own life

There was also custom built OD for Sebastian Nylund and it had an internal Z control that was slightly before.

Anyway AMWM was also known as Dynamic Orange OD that is similar mostly differing in colour.

So Version 1 had Drive, Z, Texture, Volume controls., where Z is a similar control to R on Model R and the custom OD made for Sebastian was made about the same time as Model R as Sebastian asked if there could not be an OD with a similar sound

The idea was to make an OD that would have a sound that balanced through a PA and the Z, trimmer to allow rolling down volume for sensitive playing on the cat walk ;)

Anyway so the AMWM has since lived on with these fout controls until I decided to make an EQ with overdrive and that became version 2

Version 2 has Drive, Level and boost/cut Treble and Bass.

A variant of this became Royal Blue OD from MP.

Since then both DOOD’s and AMWM have been made at the BJF plant while with AMWM a choice has been given over version 1 or version 2.

Now there are small difference between DOOD and AMWM while they are similar.

This year I decided to make some custom versions and outof AMWM became AMWMdlx and it sports a similar section that LGW dlx known as Mighty Green Wonder in that it has a switchable preboost that has gain and treble. AMWM dlx also has Presence control that was internal to AMWM ( while not on DOOD)
So the AMWM dlx has the following controls:
Predrive
Pretone Both selected vaia footswitch for more gain
Drive
Texture ( although on this version Texture controls only saturation of distortion and the trebel boost has its own control)
Volume
Presence
Bass ( low boost at 70Hz)
Treble ( now made boost/cut)
Z

( Z and Bass are internal on one unit while other units have all nine controls on top)

Have fun
BJ
BJF

Guitars:: Les Pauls, V with P-90's and humbuckers, strats,tele duo-jet and expanding; pick ups mostly Lundgren or BJF/ Lundgren
Danelectro Barython
amps: MP CS-40, MP101, Hiwatt Custom 200, Hiwatt Custom 100, VOX AC15
Fender Blues De Ville, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall 5150 through various speakers
pedals: 42

Return to BJFE Discussion