BJFE Klon

Open discussion about all things BJFE

Moderator: Moderators

BJFE Klon

Postby barnard0203 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Question on the BJFE discussions

Has Bjorn made his own version of a Klon? I would be interested to see or know a BJFE twist on this classic, especially since Klons are going for 1500-3000, ridiculous prices.
barnard0203

pedals: 0

Re: BJFE Klon

Postby zhivago » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:02 am

It would be awesome to see what Bjorn could do with the circuit.

I've had a silver Klon for many years and it is a true classic that I will never let go of 8)

BJFE: MH4K, HBOD, PGOD
zhivago

Guitars:: 1956 Gibson Les Paul Custom
1961 Fender Jazzmaster
1952 Gibson J50
amps: 1956 Fender Princeton
2013 Matchless Lightning
Ceriatone Tweed Deluxe
1979 Marshall 4x12
ZVex Nano Amp
pedals: 10

Postby barnard0203 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:00 pm

I want a Klon! Trying to sell this old Aqua Marine Wonder Machine to fund one or to trade off for one! I agree, I think Bjorn would have a great version of the Klon.
barnard0203

Postby zhivago » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:53 pm

I am hoping the you will get one soon, it is a great effect. 8)

I know it polarises opinions, and personally, having used it live and at home for so many years I am not interested in getting into the internet debates as I know what I like and what works (for me), but it really is a modern classic! :pedallove
zhivago

1961 Fender Jazzmaster
1952 Gibson J50
2013 Matchless Lightning
Ceriatone Tweed Deluxe
1979 Marshall 4x12
ZVex Nano Amp

Postby ak47 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:24 am

Interesting question! :mrgreen: However I think it is a little reduntant in that this is kind of like asking Bill Finnegan to do his take on the Honey Bee .. I am quite sure BJ could make a great Klon, and Bill a great HB but I would always prefer to try one of their own unique designs. :pedallove

Just look at BJ's 'Model' series.. and the flavours of fuzz we have seen lately.. hmm.. then again, I suppose these are Björns take on old tone benders etc.. perhaps a BJFE Centaur would be fun after all.. :music
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson
ak47

Postby melodichaotic » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:44 pm

ak47 wrote:Interesting question! :mrgreen: However I think it is a little reduntant in that this is kind of like asking Bill Finnegan to do his take on the Honey Bee .. I am quite sure BJ could make a great Klon, and Bill a great HB but I would always prefer to try one of their own unique designs. :pedallove

Just look at BJ's 'Model' series.. and the flavours of fuzz we have seen lately.. hmm.. then again, I suppose these are Björns take on old tone benders etc.. perhaps a BJFE Centaur would be fun after all.. :music

Yes, my thoughts exactly...I mean the LGW is the best TS pedal
I've played, including originals and countless takes on that circuit.
Also had a Model V at one point that easily remedied the lacking midrange
control of the Tri-Knob Big Muff(and all the other later versions of course).
Great stuff for sure, but I found a long while ago, the limitations inherent
because he didn't design them himself....ya know, they're not exactly turds,
but one could only polish them so much. :laughing4

Well, where did you hear of a BJFE version of the Klon, BTW?

Maybe Bjorn can chime in on that...
melodichaotic

Postby BJF » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi There,

Let me first say I am friends with Bill and I have also assisted in getting Bill a subcontractor.

To me the Klon has its best merits as a foundation of tone almost like a part of the amp in order to build a better foundation for use of other drive and distortion pedals.
I also think it makes an excellent boost but I think the real merit is the way it exchanges the bass for low mids and that can be vital with some amps and make sound so much more clearer.
I know Bill made the Klon specifically for its distortion capabilities...

However there came a day when Wampler brought out the Tumnus and Archer made their version and catalinbread were going to make their version and I thought well I'll make my version too.

And so I made a unit for my Chinese agent, called Silver Lawn- yes you may rake it ;)
There was a friend of mine at my workshop when I was making that and he really whole heartedly wanted one too after having gotten to play one so I made him one
In the Silver Lawn design I felt I wanted to make a type of distortion I'd like to use and thus it's not a replica and not intended to be.

For what it is worth I think the attention the Klon gets will benefit Bill and I say that though I have together with Bill and others tried to restric clones on a large scale business idea, which has nothing to do with one guy building one for himself and his friends, but really it appeared almost like the Klon would be as copied as the Tube Screamer. I think though that Brian Wampler changed the rules and I don't think the Tumnus will affect sales of original Klons and that has been proven and I wish for Bill that his Klon will be an industrial standard.

At your service
BJ
BJF

Guitars:: Les Pauls, V with P-90's and humbuckers, strats,tele duo-jet and expanding; pick ups mostly Lundgren or BJF/ Lundgren
Danelectro Barython
amps: MP CS-40, MP101, Hiwatt Custom 200, Hiwatt Custom 100, VOX AC15
Fender Blues De Ville, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall 5150 through various speakers
pedals: 42

Postby zhivago » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Wow! The Silver Lawn sounds very interesting indeed! 8)

Lately, I use my Klon as a boost for the Honey Bee and the Model H...I find that it pushes them just right. :pedallove
zhivago

1961 Fender Jazzmaster
1952 Gibson J50
2013 Matchless Lightning
Ceriatone Tweed Deluxe
1979 Marshall 4x12
ZVex Nano Amp

Postby ak47 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:56 am

I meant to post this last week as Björn very kindly discussed all things 'Klon' with me.. :mrgreen:
I have heard the Silver Lawn and can say it sounds beautiful.. tweaked in my favorite direction! :music and yes, that is a very special pedal next to it too.. :pedallove

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson
ak47

Postby Donner » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:47 pm

I remember years ago when I did the Clean Boost Comparison the Klon was the overall winner and with the Klon dirt below 9 oclock (no dirt) the Baby Pink Booster (also buffered) was closest and I actually preferred it a little better as a boost. And I never cared for the dirt on the Centuar unless the amp was cooking pretty good...... so yes I would love a Bjorntaur - tweeking the dirt to be more useful with a cleanish amp ..... :glasses
Donner
Site Admin

Guitars:: Strats, Teles, LPSpecial, Silvertone, #1 is a Gretschified Flying V
amps: custom plexitweed KT66>2x12 Greenbacks, Deluxe and Princeton Reverbs

Next

Return to BJFE Discussion