BJFE Klon

Open discussion about all things BJFE

Moderator: Moderators

Re: BJFE Klon

Postby zhivago » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:30 am

Donner wrote:I remember years ago when I did the Clean Boost Comparison the Klon was the overall winner and with the Klon dirt below 9 oclock (no dirt) the Baby Pink Booster (also buffered) was closest and I actually preferred it a little better as a boost. And I never cared for the dirt on the Centuar unless the amp was cooking pretty good...... so yes I would love a Bjorntaur - tweeking the dirt to be more useful with a cleanish amp ..... :glasses

I agree Donner, I never found the Klon's dirt to be anything to write home about after 9-10 o clock.

A Bjorntaur would definitely fix that! :)
BJFE: MH4K, HBOD, PGOD
zhivago

Guitars:: 1956 Gibson Les Paul Custom
1961 Fender Jazzmaster
1952 Gibson J50
amps: 1956 Fender Princeton
2013 Matchless Lightning
Ceriatone Tweed Deluxe
1979 Marshall 4x12
ZVex Nano Amp
pedals: 10

Postby zhivago » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:31 am

ak47 wrote:I meant to post this last week as Björn very kindly discussed all things 'Klon' with me.. :mrgreen:
I have heard the Silver Lawn and can say it sounds beautiful.. tweaked in my favorite direction! :music and yes, that is a very special pedal next to it too.. :pedallove

WOW! :love10

...and what's the blue one next to it?? :)
zhivago

1961 Fender Jazzmaster
1952 Gibson J50
2013 Matchless Lightning
Ceriatone Tweed Deluxe
1979 Marshall 4x12
ZVex Nano Amp

Postby BJF » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:59 pm

zhivago wrote:
ak47 wrote:I meant to post this last week as Björn very kindly discussed all things 'Klon' with me.. :mrgreen:
I have heard the Silver Lawn and can say it sounds beautiful.. tweaked in my favorite direction! :music and yes, that is a very special pedal next to it too.. :pedallove

WOW! :love10

...and what's the blue one next to it?? :)

Hi

Oh the blue one is a custom prototype of OC Sonic Blue Twanger and it has a bass control, hence four controls and a footswitch for Rhythm/Lead instead of the miniswitch that is on the Sonic Blue Twanger

At your service
BJ
BJF

Guitars:: Les Pauls, V with P-90's and humbuckers, strats,tele duo-jet and expanding; pick ups mostly Lundgren or BJF/ Lundgren
Danelectro Barython
amps: MP CS-40, MP101, Hiwatt Custom 200, Hiwatt Custom 100, VOX AC15
Fender Blues De Ville, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall 5150 through various speakers
pedals: 42

Postby zhivago » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 am

Aha! I see, thanks Bjorn! :)
zhivago

1961 Fender Jazzmaster
1952 Gibson J50
2013 Matchless Lightning
Ceriatone Tweed Deluxe
1979 Marshall 4x12
ZVex Nano Amp

Postby MagnumSSS » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:30 am

I've had Klon clones over the years. Never once felt good about it since Bill runs a small operation and he's still actively making them. But...

I have found that I much prefer the Sea Blue EQ for the application that I would use the Klon circuit for = slight boost, low gain, "strengthener" after all of my drives. Since I use Fender blackface amps, the bass control on the SBEQ allows me to really get that fat "low push" that distorts the bass frequencies and that i just can't get with the Klon. It seriously makes my Princeton Reverb just turn to butter. Note: This low push effect seems less pronounced at 18v so I think I may run the SBEQ at 9v again to decrease headroom and get more of that obvious "Neve" tubey thing going (as Don describes it). Alternating with a Baby Pink Booster in this application would allow me to change my base tone between "low push" and "crisp low" (like switching between John Scofield or Jerry Garcia base tones). Both in one pedal? Whoa! No desire for a Klon type pedal anymore.

With some people thinking that the Baby Pink Booster isounds somewhat similar to the Klon (when set for clean boost), and the SBEQ's ability to do what's described above, I guess I don't see the point in a Klon circuit type of BJFE pedal.
MagnumSSS

pedals: 0

Postby fenderbender4 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Any info on the Silver Lawn? Does it kind of do the same thing as a Klon like fattening up? How much gain is available? Charge pump to 18V? A pedal I always liked/wanted to is the Bondi Sick As, I liked how dynamic it was with the volume knob but the issue for me is that it had a weird treble frequency thing going on that would always be there and sounded harsh. If I rolled the treble control back it would then just get too dark. People seem to like it but that frequency thing always bothered me.
fenderbender4

pedals: 0

Postby BJF » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:33 am

Hi There,

I'll see what I can do about getting someone to write a description.

At your service
BJ
BJF

Guitars:: Les Pauls, V with P-90's and humbuckers, strats,tele duo-jet and expanding; pick ups mostly Lundgren or BJF/ Lundgren
Danelectro Barython
amps: MP CS-40, MP101, Hiwatt Custom 200, Hiwatt Custom 100, VOX AC15
Fender Blues De Ville, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall 5150 through various speakers
pedals: 42

Previous

Return to BJFE Discussion