BJF Total control

Q and A with BJ - Construction Philosophy - Interviews

Moderator: Moderators

BJF Total control

Postby BJF » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi

Since a few years I have designed circuits also for a Japanese company called One Control- One Control in Japanese actually means total control btw.

As One Control mainly makes control switching systems from Y and A/B boxes to programmable loopers my first entry was a buffer and it felt a natural
step since One Control is owned and controlled by LEP International that sells most things I have designed and so it would seem probable that these
control systems would end up controlling many of my designs that range from guitar pickup through guitar pedals to amplifiers.

Utility first:
Buffer as such is a utility gadget not supposed to add any colouration but just solve loading in effects systems. It felt natural that the next effect would be
a booster that can alos in effects systems be a utility effect and i recent times there are more such models perhaps more utility than effects.

Currently there are the following models
BJF Buffer described above

More on buffers: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=868

Granith Grey Booster
a slightly frequency compensated booster ( tuned to guitar) that allows output from zero to up to 18 dB of boost.

Anodized Brown Distortion a distortion box that uses the same ideas I had for my very first distortion box that I made in 1982.

Strawberry Red Overdrive a soft overdrive with dynamic response - as most of my designs.

Hooker’s Green Distortionmachine a bass overdrive and something I spent time banging Ace of Spades on a Richenbacker Bass in order to get the snarl I was hearing.

Persian Green Screamer the likely 1736th input in the endless Tube Screamer debate. Collegue Brian Wampler had just added his Clarksdale so I thought it fitting to make one more input.

Purple Humper a former BJF model that has but one control and I felt this mid booster would be an utility that could well work in the OC line and it’s a replica of my original design albeit with smd.

Baltic Blue Fuzz the likely 1342nd and a half input into the endless Big Muff debate and my point being a nice high beta transistor could easily be replaced by a nice OP amp ( smile intended).

Prussian Blue Reverb a rather digital reverb- for those who wonder PBR uses a different algorithm specially designed and a different style analog processing of dry than MP Silver Spring.

Sea Turquise Delay is a very digital delay. Performance have been set so that STD can work just as well before distortion as after it is a rather different delay as compared to MP DBD.

Little Copper Chorus is another addition in the very digital effects of OC. It works just as well before distortion as after although the resulting sound is more of a vibe when used before distortion.

Little Green Emphasor a former BJF model that originally came as a gift and with just one control-I feel this can be a utility pedal as in making things just easily to play.

Tiger Lily Tremolo is a rather discrete solid state design and it uses for the first time dual controls for tremolo depth making range from very mild that appears only at the tail of chords or notes to full chop possible.

Crimson Red Bass Preamp is a transistor preamp primarily tuned to boost bass and the tonal goal set for this one is the bass sounds of the 1960’s as in deep and bold, just slightly distorting like amps through that decade.

There is an upcoming video of all currently made OC BJF pedals with yours truely and James De Prato on guitar :music :salute

Planned for 2016 are four models now in progress :arrow:

Updates to this thread is planned as it happens

Having fun
BJ
BJF

Guitars:: Les Pauls, V with P-90's and humbuckers, strats,tele duo-jet and expanding; pick ups mostly Lundgren or BJF/ Lundgren
Danelectro Barython
amps: MP CS-40, MP101, Hiwatt Custom 200, Hiwatt Custom 100, VOX AC15
Fender Blues De Ville, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall 5150 through various speakers
pedals: 42

Re: BJF Total control

Postby ak47 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:19 pm

BJ! I love these pedals! :mrgreen: Watching this space closely :pedallove
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson
ak47

pedals: 0

Postby BJF » Fri May 06, 2016 6:31 am

Hi there,

Here's a little update and a clip from last year's Fuzz show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlU_xy2Kygg

Having fun :laughing4
BJ
BJF

Guitars:: Les Pauls, V with P-90's and humbuckers, strats,tele duo-jet and expanding; pick ups mostly Lundgren or BJF/ Lundgren
Danelectro Barython
Fender Blues De Ville, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall 5150 through various speakers

Postby ak47 » Sat May 07, 2016 4:27 am

Dang BJ!! You look like you are having a GREAT time!!! :mrgreen: :music that's what it's all about!

So the One Control Lemon Yellow Compressor is on the way now.. perhaps a bit of info on this one might be good to add to the database above? :pedallove
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson
ak47

Postby BJF » Wed May 18, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi

Thank you yes I certainly had a great time and equally this year at GBG FUZZ-show. :music

On the coming models I also showed

Little Yellow Compressor: a compressor with sustain feature and it’s a VCA power compressor for those technically inclined and it can easily be used both before and after distortion, and it has the following controls: Ratio, Gain, Volume and sustain switch on the side

Purple Plexifier that is a distortionbox and heritage is in its name.PP has the following controls: Drive Volume,Treble and midrange control trimmer on the side and it’s sound is leaning towards the British sounds

More models are coming soon :arrow:

Have fun
BJ
BJF

Danelectro Barython

Postby BJF » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi,

More models added:

Sonic Blue Twanger is my take on the sounds Silverface and Blackface amps in how they slightly distort and alter feel of playing complete with the eq. It has a Rythm/ Lead switch on the side and the rythm side is mostly intended for chords and rythms and then adding just an edge to the sound :angel , while the lead side reminds me of seeing BB King and being amazed at the few chords he played( I learnt why in Bronx one night when cranking a Vibrolux with a Les Paul )but the leads mr BB played had me stiff in my chair and I recall hearing others like Albert Collins just to name one of many getting this sound of singing leads while broken sounds in the bass. There’s something I find so enchanting with this particular distortion type be it light for chords or thick for leads and so I remember outdoors gigs and crowded cellars gigs back in the day when things were really loud. Sonic Blue Twanger is my attempt to get this sound and playability on nearly any volume level ( as long as the speaker moves a bit)

Fluorescent Orange Amp In A Box is my take on those amps that were so much rawer and deeper and cruder in their distortion than those other amps that were black. They were the extra push over the cliff back in the days. This is the third in the series of amp in a box designs and Fluorescent Orange delivers a distortion that is not smooth but rock ’n’ roll.

Dimension Blue Monger is another model in the series of the very digital and it produces an effect that lies in between chorus and flanger in time and it has a Complexity knob that can dial in several modulations at once
making the total effect airy.

More to come including video demos

Have fun
BJ
BJF

Danelectro Barython

Postby ak47 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Oki, I have had the privelege to try the SBT of these three so far and wow wow WOW!!!

:pedallove :pedallove :pedallove

Guitarists be prepared.. you are in for a big treat with this one! :mrgreen:
ak47

Postby BJF » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi there,

Oh yes SBT I think is fun and I am glad you enjoy Ak47

Here's a video embedded with yours truely playing Purple Plexifier

https://www.instagram.com/tgt11/

Have fun
BJ
BJF

Danelectro Barython

Postby BJF » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi There

Allright so now on youtube

https://youtu.be/6zT5m6IXO4E

Have fun and enjoy some heavy tones or not....
At your service
BJ
BJF

Danelectro Barython

Postby atomicbot » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:58 pm

BJF wrote:Sonic Blue Twanger is my take on the sounds Silverface and Blackface amps in how they slightly distort and alter feel of playing complete with the eq.

It's the SBT related to the Silver Bee in terms of sound? I got a Silver Bee right when the first came out and love it! I like the small size of One Control pedals so if it's somewhat similar it'd make a great way to squeeze it onto a smaller board.
atomicbot

Guitars:: Pretty much everything, but primarily Les Pauls, Teles, and 335-style guitars.

Next

Return to Bjorns Corner