The Birth of the Swedish Fuzz Box - By P.O. Alm

Q and A with BJ - Construction Philosophy - Interviews

Moderator: Moderators

The Birth of the Swedish Fuzz Box - By P.O. Alm

Postby mrpicard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:59 am

As translated by Bjorn Juhl. See below for original Swedish text by P.O. Alm

When
I was young I had two major interests, to play drums and learn electronics. I have a pretty extensive education as a drummer, actually something like 7-8 years, and I made EE after a couple of years as a fulltime musician. Anyway in the middle of the 60's I played with a relatively famous band Swedish pop-group by the name of Sleepstones. One day I told our guitarist that he needed a wireless guitar (transmitter/receiver). Said and done....... I sat in my boy's room and constructed a simple transmitter and a supergenerative receiver. The power of the transmitter was pretty hefty but it was needed since the sensitivity of the receiver was really low. Naturally the frequency drift was was pretty big in the equipment. However, since the equipment was to be used on stage at short distances were none of these problems of any significance.

We played a whole lot and usually there was no time to soundcheck so it was not until we were on a stage far up in Norrland somewhere that I connected the wireless system and fired it up and what happened was a shock; what came out of that Fender amp was 300% distortion! (sic)!!! It was then that our guitarist Janne Schaffer, who later played on almost all the ABBA records, told me " What a great sound. I'd like this but it would be good if it could use a chord to the amplifier". So, it was back to the boy's room! I constructed the absolute first fuzzbox built in a wooden box. It was very simple and used two germanium transistors.

My construction generated a lot of interest among guitarists and I got orders from everywhere. I would estimate that I built around 100 units during one year. This fuzz box was used on a number of recordings by Swedish pop-bands. The most spectacular was probably done by a a group from Maloe by the name Namelosers. I was sitting in on drums with them and one night after a session in Stockholm the guitarist told me that they wanted to make a special edition for their next recording. My proposition was that he'd sleep on my coach since the studio was nearby were I lived at the time. My thought was that together we could construct e special sound for the recording. So we hauled up an amplifier up the stairs and into my boy's room and I began constructing a special unit which was essentially three of my fuzz boxes in a row all built into the amplifier. They say that those that are still alive and that lived in that apartment building still talk about that night!!!

Now more than 40 years later Bjorn Juhl has "ordered" me to take up production of my fuzzbox. I explained that the secret behind my fuzzbox is that it consists of germanium transistors and that those went out of production a long time ago. However, at some special occasion I went down into the deepest dungeons of my workshop you can believe how surprised I was at finding a bag turned yellow but containing precisely that transistor that I once used!! So, I built a prototype of my old construction and there was a demonstration of it at Bjorn Juhl's and he asked how many boxes I could make out that old yellow bag? At the moment production of a couple of units that Bjorn apparently is going to show at some appropriate places is in progress. The only change I have made from the original is that the box now has True By Pass, something nobody thought of at the time.

I but wonder if there is still one original box left?? I have heard that in a studio south of Stockholm there is one somewhere on the back shelves and if they find it I have been promised to have it.

15th December 2009

Den Svenska Fuzz Boxens Födelse

När jag var ung hade jag två stora intressen, att spela trummor och elektronik. Jag har en ganska gedigen utbildning som trumslagare. Det blev till slut c:a 7- 8 års utbildning totalt.
Jag avlade även en elektronikingenjörsutbildning efter ett antal år som heltidsmusikant.

Nåväl....i mitten av 60- talet spelade jag i en relativt känd svensk popgrupp som hette Sleepstones. En dag sa jag till vår gitarrist att han skulle ha en trådlös gitarr, ( sändare/ mottagare). Sagt och gjort...jag satt på pojkrummet och konstruerade en enkel sändare och en supergenerativ mottagare. Den utstrålade effekten från sändaren var ganska hög men det behövdes eftersom mottagarens känslighet var riktigt låg. Naturligtvis var frekvensdriften ganska stor i utrustningen. Eftersom utrustningen skulle användas på en scen med korta avstånd så var inte de här problemen så viktiga.

Vi spelade väldigt mycket och ofta så det fanns aldrig tid att prova utrustningen innan det var dags att ”köra skarpt”. Det skedde på en scen långt uppe i norrland någonstans. Jag kopplade upp utrustningen och drog i gång sändaren och mottagaren. Det blev en total chock för mig. Det som kom ut ur Fenderförstärkaren var 300% distortion! Det är då vår gitarrist, (Janne Schaffer, som sedermera medverkade på i stort sett alla ABBA- skivor), säger: ” Oj vilket häftigt ljud, det vill jag ha, men det får gärna vara en sladd mellan gitarren och förstärkaren” !!!!

Tillbaka till pojkrummet! Jag konstruerade och byggde den absolut första fuzzboxen inbyggd i en trälåda. Den var mycket enkel bestående av två stycken överstyrda germaniumtransistorer.

Min konstruktion rönte stort intresse bland gitarrister och jag fick beställning från alla håll. Jag skulle uppskatta att jag byggde c:a 100 stycken totalt under ett års tid. Den användes flitigt och finns med på en hel del skivinspelningar av svenska popband. Den mest spektakulära inspelningen gjordes av en Malmögrupp som hette Namelosers. Jag vikarierade i gruppen på trummor. En kväll efter en spelning i Stockholm
säger gitarristen att vi ska spela in ett spår för en specialutgåva nästa dag. Mitt förslag var att han skulle sova över hemma hos mig eftersom studion låg i närheten av där jag bodde. Min tanke var att vi gemensamt skulle ”konstruera” ett special ljud inför inspelningen. Vi baxar alltså upp en förstärkare i pojkrummet och jag börjar konstruera en specialare. Klockan halvtre var vi klara. Jag hade i princip byggt in tre stycken av mina fuzzboxar i serie i förstärkaren. Man brukar säga att de personer som bodde i huset och fortfarande är i livet fortfarande talar om den natten !!!

Nästa dag var vi, ( Namelosers),i Europafilm studio och spelade in ” Do Ao”!

Nu, mer än 40 år senare, har Björn Juhl ” beordrat” mig att försöka nytillverka ”min” fuzzbox. Jag började med att förklara att hemligheten med min fuzzbox var att konstruktionen byggde på germaniumtransistorer som gick ur produktion för mycket länge sedan. Vid något speciellt tillfälle var jag längst in i min verkstads många gömmor och döm om min förvåning när jag hittar en gulnad påse full med just den transistorn som jag använde.
OK, jag byggde en prototyp av ”min” gamla konstruktion. Det blev demonstration hos Björn Juhl som frågade hur många boxar jag kan få ihop av den gamla gulnade påsen.

Just nu pågår tillverkning av några stycken boxar som Björn tydligen tänker visa upp på ”rätta” ställen. Den ända egentliga förändringen från originalet är att boxen numera är försedd med True By Pass som inte var påtänkt på den tiden.

Jag undrar om det finns kvar någon originalbox någonstans. Jag har hört att det ska finnas en liggandes i en studio i södra Stockholm och när den återfinns har jag blivit lovad att FÅ den!

2009-12-15
P.O. Alm

Video list:

- Swedish Fuzz
- Swedish Fuzz -> MP DBD
- Swedish Fuzz -> Echo (Fingerpicking on Les Paul)
- BJFE BBOD DLX -> Swedish Fuzz
- BJFE SWF -> Swedish Fuzz
- BJFE SWF -> Swedish Fuzz -> Echo (Les Paul)
- Sleepstones - I Put A Spell On You
- Namelosers - I'm So Blue

mrpicard

pedals: 24

Re: The Birth of the Swedish Fuzz Box - By P.O. Alm

Postby melodichaotic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:12 am

Excellent post David! Bjorn was telling me about this in an e-mail he sent, and in my reply I was telling him how impressed I was with the designer(P.O. Alm) having the foresight to think of and make a wireless system in the 60's, no less.
He also sent me clips of the that very fuzzbox( I gather from the "newly discovered" stock of transistors), and it sounds very cool.
Those videos are great also, and it goes to show the GLOBAL influence that was depicted by these bands in the 60's--they are like missing puzzle pieces from that era. Cool! :thumbup:
melodichaotic

Postby mrpicard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:37 am

It is a great pedal and I love the story!! Fascinating looking at the history of things and how we go to where we are today, I love it :thumbup:

On a technical note, this posting is one that has a lot of new HTML 5 features in order to present the videos in an interesting way. As a result you may get a different experience depending on the web browser you are using. It is not something I like but unfortunately some products are more standard than others... There are two types of videos in this page (a) ones created by BJ and (b) ones on YouTube. The YouTube videos work perfectly but on some browsers you may or may not see the videos done by BJ. This is a summary of which browsers can see the BJ videos in the above post (assuming you have the latest versions):

- Apple Safari, works perfectly and you can see every video (this browser gives you the best user experience)
- Google Chrome, works perfectly and you can see every video
- Opera, works perfectly and you can see every video
- Internet Explorer, does not support HTML5 and so videos are displayed by a Flash Player.
- Firefox, shows that there are videos but you cannot play them. This is due to a bug in Firefox.
mrpicard

pedals: 24

Postby swampy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Super cool :music Swede's be rockin' - had not heard of this. 60's Wireless Distortion Machine :shock:

While reading the story, I pictured the sets from this (IMO) great Swedish Movie "Pop Music from Vittula"
(Populärmusik från Vittula)

-Idar E.

BJF: HB - CAF - EGDM
MP: FRF

Good dealings with: "Fetbob" http://www.bjfe.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26921
(A Swell Swede who bought my Minivibe)
swampy

Guitars:: Gibson SG Special P90's - Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat - Gibson Victory - Squire SuperSonic - Gibson SG 61 RI
amps: Hiwatt DR504 half stack 4x12 Fane - Telrad 1x12 combo w/ Vibrato - JC160 - Blackheart Handsome Devil 1x12 combo
pedals: 80

Postby Donner » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Excellent thread !!!
Donner
Site Admin

Guitars:: Strats, Teles, LPSpecial, Silvertone, #1 is a Gretschified Flying V
amps: custom plexitweed KT66>2x12 Greenbacks, Deluxe and Princeton Reverbs
pedals: 0

Postby Bobby D » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 am

yes....this is very cool! Bjorn had mentioned that he was researching an ancient Swedish fuzz recently, and this must be it!

what a very cool story - even better that the original builder happened to find a few of the old transistors still at his shop!
Bobby D

Guitars:: highly modified partocaster Tele
amps: Savage Macht 12x combo
pedals: 10

Postby Donner » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm

I love the sound of this fuzz - its unique and and to hear a fuzz that doesnt sound exactly like anything else is unique. 8)
Donner
Site Admin

Guitars:: Strats, Teles, LPSpecial, Silvertone, #1 is a Gretschified Flying V
amps: custom plexitweed KT66>2x12 Greenbacks, Deluxe and Princeton Reverbs

Postby seans » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:28 pm

VERY, VERY COOL!! What a sound!

What is a DDOD Deluxe???????????????????
BJFE: HBOD, BBOD deluxe, Bone Bender kit, 109 Fuzz, PGC
seans

Guitars:: Gibson LP Goldtop w. Bearknuckle P90s , Danocaster Blackguard Telecaster
amps: 1963 AC30, LazyJ J20

Postby seans » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Well I have had a chance to try this great fuzz. I swopped a fuzz with BJ 'just for fun' to try. I was going on about how I love the Frantone Peachfuzz so I sent it to him to try as it had been years since he had, and he sent me this incredible Swedish Fuzz. It is by far the most dynamic fuzz I have ever tried. The Peacfuzz is also very touch sensitive and dynamic and is much deeper and fuller in tone but the Swedish fuzz is something else. Here is a rough clip recorded on a Edirol 09R (similar to a zoom H4) and loaded straight onto soundcloud - so no processing at all. Sorry it is very rough, but I hope it gives you a sense of just how versatile it is. I am playing with a telecaster with Kinman broadcasters through2 voxs with2 delays, one to each amp. I start off with the dry signal and the rest is just the Swedish fuzz playing heavier and lighter.

I wish I could get one of these! Respect to P.O. Alm!!!!

Cheers,

Sean

BJFE: HBOD, BBOD deluxe, Bone Bender kit, 109 Fuzz, PGC
seans

Guitars:: Gibson LP Goldtop w. Bearknuckle P90s , Danocaster Blackguard Telecaster
amps: 1963 AC30, LazyJ J20

Postby Your name here » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Cool to go back through this thread again. It's been a while! This fuzz sounds really good! It'd be fun to try one in person. Does anyone know what happened with the remakes? Were there ever any more made, other than just a couple of samples?
My rainbow of BJFe:

BJFe.org CB --> RRB --> PGC --> CAF 4K -->AWF! --> "Bjorn again" Phase 90 -->BBOD --> EGDM --> MG --> SBEQ --> BPB --> BJFe Echoverb
Your name here

Guitars:: Main Guitars: Nocaster, 1962 Strat, ES335, PRS McCarty, Jaguar, Danelectros...
amps: Morgan AC20 Deluxe 1x12, brown Princeton, Silvertone 1482, Ampeg Gemini II, '63 Vox AC30, Harmony h430, Dr. Z Mini Z combo, Alamo Montclair... Etc...
pedals: 50

Next

Return to Bjorns Corner